Beauty Lessons You Need To Learn in Your Twenties
Proper skincare isn’t something that should be left to chance. It requires daily attention and maintenance. It requires a routine. And, yes, this may seem like a drag, but the results can be young-looking, vibrant skin at any age.
So what do you choose to put into your daily skincare routine and what do you leave out? This checklist shows you the essential practices that should be in everyone’s beauty routine.
1) First things first – wipe off the overnight product build-up and dirt: Use a cleansing oil – it not only clears makeup and excess oil but also softens your skin, too! All you need to do is warm a few blobs of the cleanser by rubbing it in your palms. Dab it on your face and rub it in a circular motion all over. Finally, rinse with warm water. Do not dry your face.
2) Exfoliate: In order to boost skin cell renewal, you need to exfoliate using a chemical exfoliator at least twice a week. As your dermis loses support and your skin becomes less supple, it can often become dull as the outer layer is not being renewed regularly. By introducing a chemical exfoliator that contains AHAs and BHAs, you’ll prevent the buildup of dead skin, improving tone and texture while minimizing the appearance of pores. We like to exfoliate in the evening after double cleansing (no more than two or three times a week, and less if you have dry or sensitive skin), as it gives our skin time to recover and replenish overnight.
3) Long-term Hair Removal: Waxing works from the root hairs. The hair is pulled from its original source. This ensures that you enjoy a longer lasting hair removal solution. When compared to shaving, you don’t have to do waxing that often. Apart from waxing, you can also choose to do an IPL treatment in the comforts of your own home! There are a lot of at-home devices available, and they’re proven to be more handy compared to scheduling a salon visit.
4) Toner: It’s often left off most people’s lists but toners shouldn’t be so quickly discarded, as some have the ability to help tighten pores, eliminate toxins and rebalance your skin. It really depends on the cleanser that you’re using before and how you wash your skin. Look for clarifying toners or waters that rebalance your PH. “Antioxidant based toners harmonise your PH to 5.5, the level it needs to be to optimise skin health”, says Dr Sturnham. “Your toner also works to ‘prep’ your skin for your essential serum step, making it penetrate into the deeper layers and work more effectively.”
5) Moisturizer: Next apply a soothing moisturizer in a light layer across the skin for long lasting all-day hydration. Applying your moisturizer correctly, on the other hand, boosts hydration in your skin, prevents flaking and dullness, and creates a protective layer of moisture that lasts all day. Plus, proper application of a face cream will help anti-aging ingredients work better — increasing the odds that they’ll work.